Job search woes
Feb. 25th, 2018 01:24 pmAs I was saying in a comment to an LJ friend, my job search is going slowly. I'm not in any financial trouble and won't be for quite a number of months yet but I'm starting to worry a bit about how long my unemployment will drag on. I think I need to step up my efforts, particularly with the portfolio site. I'm already spending one full day per week on it. Two-three days/week would be better.
Earlier this week, I was contacted by an in-house recruiter in response to my application. The position seemed like a great fit for me and it's only a 15-minute commute. On Thursday I had a phone screen with the in-house recruiter. He said that he'd already shown my resume to the hiring manager and the hiring manager wanted to have a phone interview with me. All the things he told me about the position seemed positive.
Then we talked about my previous employer, and he told me that they'd just hired somebody who also used to work there. It was the person who almost got me to quit that job. I knew intellectually as soon as he said her name that I can't work with her and that I would have to let this job go. But there was a bit of a struggle before I was able to do that. The old tapes with my mother's gaslighting resurfaced. "But what if she's changed?" they said.
It doesn't matter. If I love myself, I'm not going to put myself in harm's way. And this person is definitely harmful to me. It sucks, but it was incredibly lucky that I found this out so early in the process.
Earlier this week, I was contacted by an in-house recruiter in response to my application. The position seemed like a great fit for me and it's only a 15-minute commute. On Thursday I had a phone screen with the in-house recruiter. He said that he'd already shown my resume to the hiring manager and the hiring manager wanted to have a phone interview with me. All the things he told me about the position seemed positive.
Then we talked about my previous employer, and he told me that they'd just hired somebody who also used to work there. It was the person who almost got me to quit that job. I knew intellectually as soon as he said her name that I can't work with her and that I would have to let this job go. But there was a bit of a struggle before I was able to do that. The old tapes with my mother's gaslighting resurfaced. "But what if she's changed?" they said.
It doesn't matter. If I love myself, I'm not going to put myself in harm's way. And this person is definitely harmful to me. It sucks, but it was incredibly lucky that I found this out so early in the process.