Started working
Jun. 12th, 2018 11:27 pmI started working on Monday. It's a bit like drinking from a fire hose right now, but that's to be expected. Also as expected, it's not the design itself that's hard. It's keeping track of the myriad use cases.
Here's a photo of Ginger from Monday night. She had a lot to tell me.
Other than working I don't really do much. I figured out that if I want to make the salary I was really going for, I have to work ~52 hours per week. That's not sustainable for me. But I can definitely work a little more than 40h/w while working from home. Still, it would be nice to have time and energy to do something in the evenings. Maybe even meet people.
My sinuses are acting up. That's sapping my energy. It's been going on for a couple of weeks at least. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about what to do about it. Hopefully one or more of my schemes work out.
I'm concerned about my retirement savings. I haven't contributed since November of last year. That's bad news. The contracting agency doesn't have a 401(k), as far as I know. So I need to talk to my financial advisor to figure out how I can start saving again.
A recruiter wanted to schedule another interview at the Mountain View search engine company, but I had to turn him down. He called, messaged and emailed about it today. That would have been much better, both in terms of design culture and money. But I can't jump ship now. My initial contract is for 2 months and I'm planning on staying at least that long. If I play my cards right, the networking company will want to hire me. At the very least they'll want to extend my contract by 3 months at a time. Everybody in the local design community knows about the lack of design culture at the networking company. So becoming a full time employee there is a step backwards in my career. Still, better than being unemployed at least financially.
Yesterday I had therapy. I felt so much better afterwards. It's good to know that it's money well spent. I took this photo of a flowering jacaranda when I came out from therapy.
Tomorrow I have an online meeting at 8 am. I had that today too. Not a fan of these early morning meetings. But those will likely stop next week.
Here's a photo of Ginger from Monday night. She had a lot to tell me.
Other than working I don't really do much. I figured out that if I want to make the salary I was really going for, I have to work ~52 hours per week. That's not sustainable for me. But I can definitely work a little more than 40h/w while working from home. Still, it would be nice to have time and energy to do something in the evenings. Maybe even meet people.
My sinuses are acting up. That's sapping my energy. It's been going on for a couple of weeks at least. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about what to do about it. Hopefully one or more of my schemes work out.
I'm concerned about my retirement savings. I haven't contributed since November of last year. That's bad news. The contracting agency doesn't have a 401(k), as far as I know. So I need to talk to my financial advisor to figure out how I can start saving again.
A recruiter wanted to schedule another interview at the Mountain View search engine company, but I had to turn him down. He called, messaged and emailed about it today. That would have been much better, both in terms of design culture and money. But I can't jump ship now. My initial contract is for 2 months and I'm planning on staying at least that long. If I play my cards right, the networking company will want to hire me. At the very least they'll want to extend my contract by 3 months at a time. Everybody in the local design community knows about the lack of design culture at the networking company. So becoming a full time employee there is a step backwards in my career. Still, better than being unemployed at least financially.
Yesterday I had therapy. I felt so much better afterwards. It's good to know that it's money well spent. I took this photo of a flowering jacaranda when I came out from therapy.
Tomorrow I have an online meeting at 8 am. I had that today too. Not a fan of these early morning meetings. But those will likely stop next week.